WHAT HE DID, WHAT JESUS DID, WHAT WE DO
Two weeks ago, we had the opportunity to give scholarships to seniors at White Hall High School. Part of the awards was given to students who have faced cancer, and the other two were presented the Marc Stringer Athletic Scholarship. Lauren read a short piece about our why before she presented the awards.
She went through many of the things that Stringer did. His accomplishments as an athlete and also his endurance and perseverance on and off the field.
When I think of Stringer, there are several things that he did that have helped many walks daily through life. He led by example.
WHAT HE DID
- Stringer was an example of never giving up.
- His work ethic was incredible.
- He was determined to do what was right.
- He had patients and thought through every decision he made.
- He was easy to forgive and slow to anger.
- He was honest and would tell you what you needed to hear in a calming tone.
- He was humble.
- He wanted for nothing.
- He was an example.
There are many mornings I would rather not get up and exercise and eat right. Days I would rather get a dozen donuts, my coffee, and watch a movie. There are also days that I may have a little ache or pain, but I keep ongoing. My mind always goes to Stringer, and I think to myself, he kept going with no strength and no energy. His body was weighing a minimal amount for his frame. He never complained, but every day when his alarm went off, he would pull himself out of bed and go to work. Wow!
What he did was an example to all on earth to keep on sprinting no matter what obstacle is in front of you.
DIVE INTO SCRIPTURE
When going to someone in the bible, I immediately go to Jesus and what he did.
WHAT JESUS DID?
Think of it all:
- He was born for us. (Matthew 1:20-21)
- He suffered for us. (1 Peter 3:18-20)
- He died for us. (Romans 5:8)
- He defeats the power of sin. (1 Corinthians 15:55-57)
- He forgives us. (Colossians 3:13)
- He loves us. (1 John 4:16)
- He teaches us the truth through his word. (john 8:32)
- He listens, and he speaks. (1 John 5: 14) (John 10:27-28)
- He guides us. (Proverbs 3:5-6 Isaiah 25:4)
- He is our refuge. (Psalm 61:3-5)
- He shelters us and protects us.(Psalm 91:1-4)
Jesus never gives up on us. He suffered and died on the cross and never succumbed because of us. He did what he did for us.
So this leads us to WHAT WE DO? We do what we do because of what he did, what he went through, and because Jesus leads us to our purpose in life. Jesus gives us gifts and talents that we can use to fulfill our -what we do- as we walk on this earth. Nothing should be wasted, no experience, no suffering, no story. We shouldn’t run from the mission that God has given us. We shouldn’t be fearful about sharing the story. We shouldn’t hide from what needs to be told. Don’t run like Jonah, don’t fear like Peter, and don’t hide like Elijah. Do what you are to do because Christ did what He did and still does what He does.
We should understand that God works everything for good. Probably many times not the way we think the story should play out, but the way Gods will say it is to be.
So I ask you what are you doing? What are you doing for Christ? What are you doing that is going to leave an example on this earth for others to lead positive, productive lives? What legacy will you leave?
We do what we do because he did what he did! Before starting your day, think of this – I do what I do because Jesus did what he did! What example am I going to be today?
CHALLENGES OF THE WEEK
- Keep your daily appointment with Christ
- Dive deep into the word
- Do what you are to do for Christ.
- Fill your cup with Christ because it is only then that you can fill other cups.